Yesterday, M and I had his visa interview at the embassy in London. It started off a bit hectic and things weren't going as expected (I wasn't allowed in initially at all, I had to sit on a bench in the park in front of it and wait to see if someone would let me in later!) - but it turned out well and the visa was approved!! Apparently it's pretty much a record turnaround from start to finish, so that's amazing. What this now means is we are actually in a position to start putting wheels in motion for The Big Move...it's really happening, people!!
Seeing as we're now planning for M to hit the ground running with his role in the US from the 1st week of September, we need to move the week before that so we can settle in and have a couple of days to look at houses when we land. So that means our movers will need to be scheduled for the 3rd week of August....and we'll need to fly either the last day they're here or the next day (because our house will be empty....) and we need to arrange all of the house cleaning and checking out for that last day too......hm. If I have any hope of keeping this thing organized I'm going to have to make a list!
Confirm dates with moving company
- Complete itemisation of property and insurance valuation forms for moving company - this must be done ASAP!!
Book flights (one way!!) Book hotel for the 2 days of packing Notify letting agency of final date in the house
- Arrange key drop / checkout
Book Bug into creche for packing dates so she's not thrown off by the movers (& notify that will be final date)
- Arrange house cleaning
- Notify key companies of final date in house/country & update address to US: Gas / Electric / Water / Council Tax / Cable / Internet / Mobile phone / Contact lens scheme / TV license / Car & Contents insurance / Mortgage & Home insurance
- Update address with all bank accounts in UK, US, & Ireland
- Sell car - at the latest possible time....!
- Sell car seats - toddler one at the last minute!
- Sell electronics, UK/US transformer, miscellaneous
- Donate anything else we're not packing
- Arrange council pickup of big furniture not donated / sold
- Clear out pantry, toiletries, shed, loft
- Set aside clothes we will need for the first 2 months in US - pack in luggage
- Set aside toys Bug will need for flight / early weeks at Nana and Papa's - pack in luggage
- Set aside passports, birth certs, important documents, nice jewelry - pack in carryon
- Arrange one last meetup with everyone here we can!!
We've knocked a few items off the list already, wahoo! Now I know there are a million things I'm missing so if you see any glaringly obvious ones, please let me know. It's all go from here...watch me try to keep my head on straight!! :)
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!