For those who do not know, it's an award sharing the love throughout bloggers and helping provide the opportunity to grow your community. A lovely gesture - and a fun one at that! I always love to read these because of the "random facts" that are divulged...
There are rules, as with most awards:
- Post 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you
- Nominate a few bloggers to do the same
- Let nominees know they've been nominated!
11 Random Facts About Me, Myself, and I
- I shave my arms. This is a holdover from my swimming days and despite that being well over 15 years ago it is a habit I cannot break!
- I hate to wear socks! I only wear them if my feet are freezing. I prefer to be barefoot 99.9% of the time.
- I've had my navel pierced twice and my eyebrow pierced once. The eyebrow ring lasted 6 months, the first navel ring lasted 48 hours - but the second one lasted a few years.
- I can rap many a Jay-Z song.
- I love the combo of sweet and salty - like kettle corn, or eating potato chips when eating brownies.
- I am blind as a bat. Without my contacts (or when my eyes desperately need a break, my glasses) I can't see farther than a foot in front of me. I also have a terrible habit of not taking my contacts out overnight. Or for weeks on end. (Oops).
- Two of my front teeth are mostly fake - courtesy of the rudeness of people riding the 1 & 9 downtown during rush hour one lovely morning on the NYC subway. Let's just say that the man in a rush coming off the train - and all the people behind him - didn't want to slow down and let me through the turnstile first despite me already being in the process of swiping my card, so they all came powering through and the turnstile proceeded to slam me in the mouth. Awesome moment by the way, as I stood there with blood pouring out of my mouth, teeth in hand, and crying - and not a single person of the hundreds that streamed past even looked at me. (In better news, my dentist was a gem, and I had brand new teeth not an hour later!)
- I have things on my To Do list that are months old. Some of them are because I genuinely plan that far in advance on certain things....others are because they haven't been 'urgent' and so I'm procrastinating.
- I'm very good at procrastinating. I routinely wrote my 10,000 word papers for university the night before - taking No-Doze to stay awake (This was bad, kids, bad! Don't take caffeine tablets!!) and powering through the night. Once my professor passed back all of our creative writing assignments and told me I'd gotten the highest score in class by far, and asked me to read my paper to the rest of the class. I didn't remember writing any of it...!
- I'm so excited to finally own something that will be ours, and that we can decorate however we wish and put our own stamp on it! But I have the hardest time just envisioning how I want something to look...I have to see it somewhere and then I know I like it. Thank goodness for Pinterest! (Speaking of, if you have fab home interior decorating boards that I should follow, let me know in the comments!)
- I still cannot apply liquid eyeliner, for the life of me. Just never got the hang of it. No cat eyes happening over here!
Melissa & Rachel's Questions
(Rather than answer 22 questions, I've answered a mix of each of their posed questions...I hope that's ok ladies!)
- What made you start blogging? (My previous answer still sticks:) I'm always writing. It's been my outlet since I can remember. I have dozens of journals stashed away from various times in my life. And before I started this one I had a photo blog of my daughter for family and friends to keep up with her growth and changes in her first year. But I found I was writing details and stories about her development, and our family explorations, multiple times in emails to different family members and friends. My husband actually suggested I just do my writing once, on a blog, that everyone who wanted to could access. (He's very clever!)
- Do you have any nicknames? Yes - Becca, Boo, Bex, Powers, & more recently Mrs Locky
- What is your favorite movie quote? From Last of the Mohicans: (I love it because it's sarky and I can imagine saying something like that in a serious moment ha)
Duncan: There is a war on. How is it you are headed west?
Hawkeye: Well, we kinda face to the north and real subtle-like turn left.
- What is your go-to accessory staple? Depends on the weather and what I'm into at the time...varies from cute flats to pretty scarves or chunky statement necklaces
- If you were one of the four seasons, which would it be and why? I'd say winter - because I love Christmas, my birthday, and New Year's Eve, I love snow and ice skating, and I love layers, scarves, leggings, and pretty coats!
- Were you born in the state you're currently living in? If not, what brought you there? I was born about half an hour from where I am living presently - however I took a very roundabout way of returning! I moved to NYC after university and then moved to London, and only just returned to my 'hometown' vicinity after 12 years away.
- What do you think MSDS stands for? I thought this must be a phrase or something for texting etc...the only phrase I could think of with those initials was "My S--- Don't Stink!" That's definitely not what it stands for though, is it Melissa?! :)
- What one word sums up the heart of your blog and why? I'll say MEMORIES, even though I have several other words I'm struggling between. Memories because this blog is all about sharing memory-making moments in our lives, capturing them forever, and because I hope that Bug will look back on this when she's older and enjoy reliving memories that she is probably too young to really remember on her own.
- What's your favorite pastime other than blogging? Definitely reading, although I don't have as much time as I used to for this hobby. My list of books that I want to read is a little bit insane. I really ought to have been an editor - a job where you get paid to read a ton of books? Yes, please!
- If you have children, what are their names? If not, what are your favorite boy and girl names? I call my daughter Bug, which is abbreviated from calling her my Lovebug when she was born. When I was much younger, I had names picked out for my 'future children' - Tristan for a boy and Elizabeth for a girl. Neither of these names made it anywhere near my list when I actually became pregnant, ha! I'm not sharing the names we're bandying about now though because we haven't chosen one yet and I don't want anyone else's opinion to sway me. ;)
- In your opinion, what is the best blog post you've written so far? (include the link!) I'll say my post about how I felt about being a stay at home mom, after I'd make the choice and had spent a few months with that decision. (You can read that post here: Work/Life Hanging in the Balance) It is just one of those posts where I poured my heart out about what was weighing on me - and at that moment I was missing working and being a career woman. Specifically, I missed that feeling of knowing exactly what was expected of me and how to do what was being asked of me. It's still something I think a lot about, although I have fewer moments where I'm torn between the two decisions now.
My Questions to the Nominees
- What topic do you enjoy blogging about the most, and why?
- What is your favorite meal to cook / treat to bake?
- If you work outside of blogging, what do you do, and what do you enjoy most about it?
- What was the worst date you've ever been on?
- What goals do you have for the next 5 years, both blogging and personal?
- What is a Christmas song that truly rings in the season for you?
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- How does a typical day begin for you?
- Is there anything you don't think you would ever blog about?
- What three things can you not live without?
- What's on your Christmas wishlist this year?
What random facts would you want to know if you were interviewing someone??