I'm sitting here, feet up in front of the faux wood fire, blanket in my lap, Bug sound asleep, and a big piece of my mom's birthday cake in hand. :) Not a bad place to be typing away! We had our 'first' Thanksgiving - of TWO! - today. I haven't been home for Thanksgiving for over 10 years now, and although I've had some pretty special Friendsgivings in London with my American crew, there's just something about being with family on certain holidays that raises the bar just a tiny bit.
Back at the last one I was here for, there were only 2 small children, my brother wasn't married, and I was only just living in NYC for a short while. Fast forward to today and there were spouses for each of us siblings, 2 teenagers, 3 toddlers, and a tiny baby in attendance. Boy does that ratchet up the noise level! :) It was wonderful to eat together, catch up, and celebrate my mom's upcoming birthday together. I don't get tired of watching Bug with her cousins, getting to know them all and figuring out how best to play with them one-on-one, as well as in a group. (She's the littlest except for new baby Lilly, and her closest cousins are boys that are 1-2 years older, so their play style is different to hers.) I am definitely kicking myself for forgetting to take pictures of the table, the food, the whole family....oops. #badblogger We have a 2nd try on actual Thanksgiving, when my mom's parents and her close friend come out. I'll try to remedy the situation then.
Seeing as it is nearly Monday, I'm going to make my Grateful Heart list and join up with Emily :) I feel it's doubly important to make this list since we totally forgot to go round the table to say what we're thankful for!
This week I am thankful for:
- Being home for Thanksgiving for the first time in so long..!
- My corn casserole (recipe courtesy of my 'Husker friend Cheryl!) turning out great on the first try.
- Bug starting to speak in complete sentences....out of nowhere, it's bonkers! She just started saying things like "Where ARE you mama?!?" (me literally standing 3 feet away at the time), and "Oooh, I see toast!" and "Gimme candles please Nana." Unreal.
- Booking a whole slew of restaurants for our NYC trip next month - a bunch of old faves and some new ones that I've either been wanting to go for ages, or have been tipped off about by some foodie friends.
- A short travel week for M - he will be home Wednesday night this week so he won't miss actual Thanksgiving. He had to fly out this afternoon midday so he missed the one with my siblings, but he'll see my grandparents on Thursday which I'm grateful for.
- And despite our weekends turning into crazy rushes to get things done that we need M around for, we somehow managed to get a couple brief hours of 'quiet time' this weekend, where M got to fool around on the guitar, he and Bug goofed around together, and we had a little snuggle on the sofa watching a movie. The rest of the year is bound to just get more and more crazy as we attempt to close on this house now, so wish us luck on finding those precious few moments of peace each weekend that he's home..!
How about you? Are you feeling grateful today? Join in the celebration of thankfulness ahead of Thursday! ;)